Sunday, October 22, 2023

Two weeks ago I was feeling quite down and affected but something remarkably small.

But I learnt a lot from the episode.

Some context: so someone whom I felt I was close with left me out of an activity. Other than the part about being left out, it was on top of learning about the activity from another person. hence it really showed that the person probably has no intention of having me participate in the activity. 

I talked to a few of my friends, and also my dad - if they were placed in this situation, what would they have done? Most of them said that they will not tell the other party how they made them feel. Some would not invite the person to their activity. Some felt that something was indeed amiss. But the consensuses were the same - they would not ask/clarify/tell the person how he/she had made them feel.

I tried to rationalise the situation myself. Honestly, everyone has the freedom to invite whoever they want to their activity. Sometimes how you close you might have felt to the person, does not mean that the other party has to feel the same way. I also thought if I did something wrong, the cause me to deserve the 'treatment'. Or maybe the person just forgot.

It was like something stuck in my heart. I tried to brush it off, but it was hard for me to address it with the person. Thank God for the opportunity and I managed to share with the person how I felt. It wasn't really about the activity, it was just the way the entire thing was done that made me feel this way. I still respect the other party's decision, but I wanted to clear the air and I believed that our friendship was able to take this level of honesty. 

We are good now :)

From this situation, I learnt how easy a relationship that took years to build, can be broken if one party just refuses to make amends. At the same time, we also need to discern if the other party is someone who can take the truth. But it gave me a thought, like the devil does not need to cause like a fight or a huge falling out/drama in order to break relationships. All he needs to do is play on your insecurities. Cause you to feel small, not cherished and then you will automatically stray away from the person. Or when you see the person, you become uncomfortable that though you act like nothing is wrong, you actually grow to resent the person. How sad is that? But I thank God that our friendship did not go down that road. In contrast, being honest allowed us to grow from this situation and might even strengthen our relationship. 

Hence I really learnt through this episode. 

= do something right=

No comments: